Sunday, March 11, 2012

Spice-Rubbed Roasted Salmon

When I first got married, I had visions of myself cooking only these amazing, healthy and delicious meals with Hubs singing praises of my lean meats and vegetables. How quickly those dreams were shattered! I made turkey meatloaves only to learn Keith thinks turkey smells like cadavers. I made southwest salmon burgers only to learn Keith thinks burger means "from cow only." I made butternut squash and beef stew only to learn Keith thinks winter squash should be smothered in butter and sugar. So any time I make something new, I'm always anxious to see how it will go over. And let me tell you, I was THRILLED when Keith told me this salmon from Cooking Light was.....wait for it.... the best salmon he's ever had.

And I agree. This salmon definitely rivals any good salmon I've ever had from a restaurant.
The best part? The spices on the salmon add NO CALORIES, just great flavor. I paired it with some rice pilaf and broccoli, but we've also had it with the lemon-garlic spinach like Cooking Light has listed. (Tip: If you make the spinach, I'd try reducing the lemon ingredients by half. I followed the recipe exactly as written and it was way too lemony.)

Spice-Rubbed Roasted Salmon 
1/2 teaspoon salt  
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin 
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander 
1/4 teaspoon paprika 
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 
1 (2 1/4-pound) skinless salmon fillet  
2 cups thinly sliced onion  
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 400°. Combine first 6 ingredients; rub spice mixture evenly over fish. Place onion in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Place fish on top of onion; bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness.

No comments:

Post a Comment